What are British Values?
According to the Department for Education, ‘fundamental British values’ comprise:
- the rule of law
- individual liberty
- mutual respect for and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs, and for those without faith
The Department for Education (DfE) places a duty on EYFS providers, schools, colleges and training providers to prepare pupils for life in modern Britain by developing their understanding of ‘fundamental British values’
British Values at St James CE Primary School
At St James, British Values are explored discretely during collective worship and reflection sessions. SMSC development and British Values often drive the focus of the sessions allowing the children dedicated time to reflect on the values, and how each value relates to them on a personal and worldly level. However, within each subject area, British Values have also been carefully mapped out by subject leaders to ensure clear links are made across the curriculum.
- enable students to develop their self-knowledge, self-esteem and self-confidence
- enable students to distinguish right from wrong and to respect the civil and criminal law of Britain
- encourage students to accept responsibility for their behaviour, show initiative, and to understand how they can contribute positively to the lives of those living and working in the locality of the school and to society more widely
- enable students to acquire a broad general knowledge of and respect for public institutions and services in Britain
- further tolerance and harmony between different cultural traditions by enabling students to acquire an appreciation for and respect for their own and other cultures
- encourage respect for other people
- encourage respect for democracy and support for participation in the democratic processes, including respect for the basis on which the law is made and applied in Britain
- encourage respect for other people, paying particular regard to the protected characteristics set out in the Equality Act 2010.
At St James Church of England Primary School, we use the rhyme 'I Really Do Matter' to ensure all childen are able to remember the five core British Values.